Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget the people that matter the most. We forget to call, forget to follow up, forget to check in. We forget because we know we can, we forget because these are the people that will always be there... even when we forget. We forget because we know we can “get away with it.”
I am definitely guilty of this sometimes and with the busy-ness of running my own business, homeschooling our daughter, over seeing our other businesses and planning a wedding, I have to say that lately I've been guilty of it more than I would like to admit.
But here’s the thing... its never too late to remedy your forgetfulness and it only takes a minute to reach out and thank people for being pure awesome-ness in your life.
Reconnecting and sharing your love & gratitude with those that matter most is easier than you think. (click to tweet)
Small, simple actions can go such a long way. Here are some of my favourite go-to ways to show my love & gratitude when I’m feeling disconnected and short on time.
- send a quick text to show them I am thinking of them
- write a short hand written thank you note (I keep stacks of them on hand to make is easy)
- post a pic of you two on Facebook
- take a few deep breaths, close you eyes and picture them in you heart (I promise they will feel it, energy travels)
- write an entire blog post dedicated to how much you love them (okay, this one takes a little longer than a few minutes)
There is no greater way to increase happiness than by sharing our love & gratitude, not only in others but in ourselves. (click to tweet)
So in honor of this lesson and to celebrate my sister on her 35th birthday, I am sharing a list of 35 Things I Love About My Sister, to show her how much I adore and appreciate having her in my life.
- I love that she can create crazy cool cakes.
- I love that she never takes me too seriously, except for when she knows to take me seriously.
- I love that she knows me better than almost anyone.
- I love how she lights up a room, just by walking into it.
- I love that she found an amazing husband to share her life with.
- I love that she ignored my advice about staying away from guys with kids (PS - that would no longer be my advice).
- I love that she can take the contents of a practically empty fridge and make a delicious meal out of what looks like nothing.
- I love that hearing her sing can bring me to tears.
- I love that she knows every line in all the best movies and knows just when to quote them.
- I love that she thinks I’m funny.
- I love how ridiculously talented she is.
- I love how much she loves our brothers.
- I love that she always sees the best in people, even when they are being assholes.
- I love that everyone gets how awesome she is.
- I love that she no longer steals my clothes.
- I love that she has seen a tiny human come out of my body.
- I love the support and fierce love she showed when said tiny human made her way into the world.
- I love that she loves said tiny human more than life itself.
- I love that she can hear a song once and then immediately know the words, forever.
- I love her style and commitment to being herself.
- I love that she would do anything for those she loves.
- I love that she loves my sweetheart... almost as much as he loves her.
- I love that she remembers all the things I like, so I don’t have to.
- I love that she can create art & beauty out of almost anything.
- I love that because of her my daughter, since the age of 2, has referred to her digits as phalanges.
- I love that she makes me laugh more than almost anyone I know.
- I love that she keeps her tender, loving heart open and never lets it get hardened by the world, no matter how much it hurts sometimes.
- I love that she can carry like 17 plates and 27 glasses at the same time.
- I love that my daughter simply refers to as Auntie, as though it were her title.
- I love knowing she ALWAYS has my back.
- I love that she is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.
- I love that we refer to each other as Pooh.
- I love that she’s not afraid to cry.
- I love that I know she is crying right now, just reading this.
- And I love that she becomes more and more herself with each passing year, more caring, more talented, more fierce, more beautiful.
Happy Birthday Pooh. xo
In the comments below I encourage you to share with me 3 things you love about someone in your life, then go and share the list with them!